Thursday, November 18, 2010

Repair, Repurpose, Reuse

Ripped
Repairing
Repaired
My husband came home from work recently with a ripped seam in his jacket. It's not a great jacket but even so, I am embarrassed to admit that just a few years ago, I would have been temped to toss it out and go buy him a new one. 

Not these days. For one thing, our personal resources are much more scarce then they used to be. The value of the things we already own have increased substantially and so too has our commitment to maintaining them. For another thing, living more simply has opened our eyes to habits that are unnecessarily wasteful. And like my grandparents who grew up in the depression, I'm feeling that these changes are ones that will stick around long after our personal resources increase.

So rather than throwing the jacket out, I did what my Grandma Mary Jean would have done -- I fixed it. With a little thread, a sharp needle, and a well placed thimble, I had that seam repaired (and pretty well, if I may say so) in about 10 minutes. It was satisfying to do and I didn't have to spend time and money driving to the store for another jacket. A win-win situation.

I'm finding myself doing this with more and more things lately. Rather than automatically throwing something out when it becomes damaged or it's original need filled, I try and think of ways to fix it. Or to reuse it.

We now keep juice bottles for making ice blocks (thanks, Jamie!), sour cream and yogurt containers for storing leftovers, and reuse both sides of a spiral-bound notebook before recycling it. I've extended old jeans with patches, cut down retired blankets for pet beds, and have turned expired calendars into living room art. 

It takes a little creativity and yes, sometimes actual time, but I've found that the satisfaction you get in avoiding having to buy something new outweighs any minor inconvenience in repairing or reusing it. 

Do you ever repair or reuse things you own? What sorts of things have you done?

2 comments:

  1. SO very timely. Monday night I mended 4 pair of jeans that were perfect except for worn spots on the inseams; sewed close two pillows that are basically new but have split seams (uh, thanks Benny); and patched a sweater, a pair of boxers, and a pair of pj bottoms. It felt so good to mend these things and put them back into circulation, since they'd been piling up for over a year on an old dresser in a corner. I'd always intended to get to them "one day", and I think the weather and season (and time) finally made the right trifecta for a mending night. Not only was it satisfying to complete the work, but like you mentioned in your post, it just felt so good to fix something and put it back to work. I am so much more mindful now of how I might re-use something, especially clothes and other fabric. Everything seems so expensive these days that is is especially fulfilling to fix something of quality and continue to use it.

    That perspective is also continuing to help shape what I buy - I am increasingly thinking about quality and longevity and re-use, and how we can make do with less... but for what we need, also on how we can care for new things to extend their lives. It's fun and satisfying, and I'm so glad to have the time and brainspace to do it. Are you feeling similar things? I'd love to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about thinking about the quality and workmanship of what you buy in the first place. We try so hard not to buy "new" anymore (we buy most things from second-hand stores now) that I tend to forget this. But it is so important; it may cost a bit more to buy a good pair of shoes but man, will they last longer and be better for your feet than those cheap-o ones. (And you know those cheap-o ones are gonna end up in the landfill so much sooner!)

    I also am also more inclined than ever to buy “classic” items now rather than “trendy” when I do go new. I have to ask myself, “will this still work for me in 5 years? 10?” I had to buy some new tablecloths a few years ago and rather going with something printed, I chose plain white. I can dress it up with runners or other decorations but white will work forever. I do the same with clothing. I buy plainer, more classic pieces that I can change up with jewelry or scarves, etc. It just makes more sense to me to buy this way.

    ReplyDelete