Monday, November 22, 2010

Air-Popped Corn

Poppin' corn
When I was growing up at my parents' house, popcorn was made in one of two ways: in a heavy bottomed pan coated with vegetable oil, or in later years, in the microwave.

The former invariably turned out scorched and the latter had a false texture and plasticy taste (probably from the artificial butter). Needless to say, I wasn't partial to either kind.

My grandparents, on the other hand, had an air-popper at their house. On visits, we'd get to watch as the hot air whirled those hard kernels into fluff that would float up and fall into the bowl. The hot mound would then be drizzled (liberally, of course) with melted butter and sprinkled with salt. (If you mouth isn't watering right now, you aren't human.)

My grandparents' popcorn, made in this way, was always light, flavorful, and delicious. This is the only way I make popcorn now.

How do you like your popcorn?

No comments:

Post a Comment